It’s hard to imagine, but four out of five homes in the U.S. have asphalt shingle roofs. That’s a lot of asphalt roofs! The Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association is keeping track and credits the popularity of asphalt roofing shingles to five main factors: low cost, attractiveness, durability, reliable quality and versatility.
Because of their versatility, traditional asphalt shingles can look designer-quality, but are extremely affordable. (Photo courtesy of the Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association)
The Advantages of Asphalt Shingles
We researched some historical data and found that asphalt roof shingles have been the leading choice among homeowners since as far back as 1847. That’s quite a record in the #1 spot when you consider all the other types of roofing materials available. So what gives asphalt shingles the advantage over metal roofing, cedar shakes and shingles, slate, tile and other roofing types? The Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association has put together quite a list on the benefits of an asphalt roof and we concur.
- Compared to other roof types, asphalt shingles offer the most color, shape and texture options so they can match any home architectural style.
- Shingle cut options can be customized for various steep-slope roof styles, such as traditional, architectural, designer, or luxury.
- Asphalt roofing material can be manufactured in a wide range of appearance options to look like natural cedar wood shakes, slate, or tile.
- Asphalt roofing systems don’t require much maintenance and they’re easy to repair if damaged.
- They have a long lifecycle.
Asphalt Shingle Performance
One of the most important factors homeowners expect from their roof is performance during adverse weather conditions or other catastrophes. No matter the other qualities, nothing is as essential as being a reliable protective covering over their home during any type of disaster.
The Asphalt Roofing Manufacturers Association reports that asphalt roof systems can handle the following extreme conditions when properly installed. And with the Roofing Annex as your roofing company, you know your roofing system will be correctly installed!
- Remain well secure during high winds (that means no uplifts or tear-offs).
- Perform well in extreme hot or cold climates.
- Can handle severe weather conditions, like hail, snow and sleet.
- Are fire and flammable resistant.
Energy Efficiency Delivers Cost Savings
Most asphalt roofing meets the requirements of the U.S. government’s Energy Star roof specifications. By doing so, homeowners enjoy long-term energy efficient savings with lower heating and cooling costs. In addition, asphalt roofs with cooling granules that meet the Energy Star requirements may qualify for the home energy efficiency tax credit for roofing, a savings of up to $500. These energy efficient asphalt shingles reflect a high amount of the sun’s rays so the roof surface temperature remains low and less heat is transferred into the interior of the home.
Discover Your Options
Installing asphalt roofing is one of the specialties of the Roofing Annex. Plus, we are a CertainTeed Shingle Master Company and a GAF Master Elite Roofer with these two leading roofing manufacturers. That means we have fulfilled CertainTeed’s and GAF’s stringent requirements for shingle installation techniques and strictly follow procedures to ensure a perfect installation.
When you need a new roof or a replacement roof for your home, the Roofing Annex is at the ready to apply our expertise to ensure you have a great looking roof that performs flawlessly for decades to come.